Writing an assignment is worth the hassle for students. Why? Because, sometimes students are overburdened with studies, while sometimes they want some time to spend with friends or family members. Students may be given a task by their course instructor to either write a formal or informal assignment. Students often fail to write a perfect formal or informal assignment, because they ignore the tip for writing a formal or informal assignment. If you are a student who is in search of valid tips to know how to write a formal or informal assignment, then this article is for you. Here are 14 assignment writing tips for you:
(1) If you are writing a formal assignment, then do not use colloquial expressions; however, you can write colloquial expressions in an informal assignment.
(2) You can use contractions in an informal assignment; however, contractions such as didn’t, can’t are required informal assignments.
(3) You may use vague pronouns in an informal assignment, but you should not use them in a formal assignment. Do not begin a formal assignment with words, such as it, this, but, and, and so.
(4) You can use cliches in an informal assignment like ‘raining like cats and dogs’, but cliches are not a necessity for a formal assignment.
(5) You can use first, second, and third persons in an informal assignment. In a formal assignment, you must use the third person only. If your formal assignment is about business letters, then you can use the first person.
(6) You can use abbreviations in an informal assignment, but abbreviations are not a part of a formal assignment.
(7) Thesis statement needs to be simple and concise in an informal assignment. However, you need to present the thesis statement well in a formal assignment.
(8) You can use a word like “remember” in an informal assignment, but you should use words, ‘please refer to’ while writing a formal assignment.
(9) You can use active voice in an informal assignment; however, passive voice is a need for writing a formal assignment.
(10) Rhetorical questions are a need for an informal assignment, whereas you cannot write rhetorical questions in a formal assignment.
(11) Simple and short sentences are a requirement for an informal assignment. Long and complex sentences are a requirement for you if you are writing a formal assignment.
(12) You must show empathy to the readers while writing an informal assignment. You must state your points confidently in a formal assignment.
(13) You can use oxymoron like ‘cruel to be kind’ or ‘great depression’ and pleonasm like ‘burning fire’ in an informal assignment; however, you cannot use them in a formal assignment.
(14) Do not overuse direct quotes or indirect quotes in a format assignment, while the case is opposite if you are writing an informal assignment.
(15) These are 14 tips for you that you should follow if your teacher has either given you a formal or informal assignment. In short, writing an assignment will become simpler if you follow the preceding tips for assignment writing.
Francesca Molly is an “Academic Writer”. She works in a UK Assignment Writing company. She likes creating articles on the category, ‘assignment writing’.